Event Operations Manager
Memphis in May International Festival is seeking an experienced event operations manager with public event operation and production experience to coordinate multiple event programs and support festival operation activities. This is a full-time year-round staff position with multiple areas of event and program responsibility at one of America’s leading festival organizations.
We seek a personable and energetic individual who is a detail-oriented team player. This position requires a hands-on individual that is highly detailed with well-developed communication skills and personnel management experience and skills. A minimum of three years of public event operation experience is required along with a college degree. Experience with competitive public events and facility/warehouse operations is a plus. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits including medical and 401K.
This position reports to and supports the Director of Operations in all aspects of the organization’s event activities and general operational functions. This staff position has primary event responsibility for the administration of our two competition events; the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest and Great American River Run. Additionally, the position is responsible for management and oversight of the organization’s real property (office building and warehouse property) as well as production equipment and physical assets.
Please submit resume with cover letter and salary history and expectations no later than November 11th to email@example.com
MIM encourages minority participation and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to the following)
- Event Operations manager will have primary event responsibilities for the two competition events presented by MIMIF, the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest and Great American River Run. This will entail administrative oversight of all event functions and responsibilities for these two programs.
- Event Operations Manager shall support the organization’s major event activities by serving as a site manager for events held in Tom Lee Park. Working in cooperation with and reporting to the Director of Operations. As event site manager, you shall assist with management of labor and vendors associated with event infrastructure and event operations as requested.
- In addition to supporting the site development and implementation of major event activities, specific responsibilities include but are not limited to; venue plumbing, waste management and clean-up, heavy equipment, specialty rental equipment, central inventory assets and supplies, as well as management of site labor, direct supporting seasonal staff and direct supporting volunteers.
- Event Operations Manager shall have volunteer committee liaison responsibility for the Greening Committee and joint responsibility, along with the Director of Operations, for the Production Committee.
- Direct management, oversight and maintenance of all production related assets to ensure equipment is properly stored and maintained and available for use or third party rental. This shall include maintaining an active inventory and condition report of all assets.
- Direct management and oversight to include maintenance functions of the warehouse physical plant and operational assets, in collaboration with the Director of Operations. This shall include all systems contained within the warehouse, as well as security of the facility and its contents.
- Direct management and oversight to include maintenance functions of the office building physical plant, in collaboration with the CEO, CFO and Director of Operations. This shall include all systems contained within the office building, with the exception of the computer and phone systems, as well as security of the facility contents.
- Support the Director for Operations in all third party rental of operational equipment, to include check-out and check-in commercial rentals.
- Work in close cooperation with the Director of Operations and staff personnel to develop an accurate budget for production and operational expenses, and maintain strict adherence to Board approved operating budget in areas of responsibilities.
- Work in conjunction with the Director of Operations and staff personnel to ensure the successful operation and professional presentation of all events and cultural arts programs.
- Maintain a professional and cooperative working relationship with officials of the River Front Development Corporation, City / County Government, Police Department, Fire Department, Health Department, General Services and key vendors, service providers, staff and festival volunteers.
- Ensure event operations are compliant with local, state and national rules and regulations and safety guidelines.
- Construction oversight, management and generation of event physical assets to include barricades, stands, booths, tables, and equipment suitable for independent construction.
- Work in close cooperation with the Director of Operations and Vice President of Sponsorship to ensure the successful execution and operational fulfillment of sponsor requirements.
- Ensure that all festival expenditures for vendors, equipment, general supplies, staffing and services are bid to insure the best and most efficient pricing and service is obtained.
- Integrate local and community volunteers into all aspects of festival programs without compromising the professionalism of event operations.
- Three years of public event operational experience.
- Knowledge and experience in large scale outdoor event and entertainment planning and production. The ability to execute site plans and production schedules.
- The ability to analyze problems, identify solutions and project consequences of proposed actions.
- Knowledge and experience in administering the operation of competition events.
- The ability to remain professional and calm when working in high pressure, time sensitive situations.
- Good interpersonal relations and personnel management skills, including the ability to gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
- Detailed oriented and able to handle a fast paced multi-task work environment.
- The ability and flexibility to work long hours, as required, for all event operations and during necessary pre-event, event and post event activities.
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing. Computer proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets.
- Experience in inventory control, preparing budgets and corresponding reports.
Salary: $40,000.00 to $45,000.00 Starting Salary
Annual Bonus: Based on employee performance and festival financial results. (range from 0% to 10% of annual salary)
Paid Time Off: Two-week annually, (one week after six months). Employees are given three personal days each year and ½ day sick leave for each month worked.
Insurance: Fully paid medical insurance HMO with reimbursement repayment plan, after 90 days of employment. Dental, vision and family coverage is available at additional cost to employee.
Retirement: 4% paid 401K contribution (after one-year employment) and a 4% matching contribution is available starting 90 days after employment. These contributions are paid bi-monthly and are fully vested upon receipt. A total of 8% with match after one year.
Parking: Paid parking.