Memphis in May Awarded 11 Pinnacle Awards By International Festival & Events Association
Memphis in May International Festival collected eleven more Pinnacle Awards at the International Festival & Events Association’s 62nd Annual Convention & Expo in Tucson, Arizona, on September 14, 2017. This brings the total number of Pinnacle Awards received by Memphis in May International Festival to 206.
The world’s leading festivals and events submit entries in 71 award categories. This year, Memphis in May was recognized for the best Overall Sponsorship Program in North America and received two Gold Pinnacle Awards, six Silver Pinnacle Awards and three Bronze Pinnacle Awards. Other notable 2017 Pinnacle Award winners were Rotterdam Festivals, Kentucky Derby Festival, Pasadena Tournament of Roses, Indy 500 Festival, National Cherry Blossom Festival, Fiesta San Antonio, and Singapore Garden Festival.
“The IFEA Pinnacle Awards provide an opportunity for Memphis in May International Festival to be recognized by our national and international peers for our creativity and efforts to produce a successful festival that brings the world to Memphis,” said Memphis in May President & CEO James L. Holt. “Winning eleven Pinnacle Awards enhances an already great year that saw record-setting gross revenues and an economic impact of more than $111 million.”
Additionally, Memphis in May International Festival’s program specialist Becky Genoways was inducted to the IFEA Hall of Fame. With more than thirty years of festival experience in Illinois and Missouri, Genoways has coordinated Memphis in May International Festival’s food, beverage and merchandise operations, and the more than 1000-member volunteer program for the last four years.
“Becky is the consummate professional when it comes to just about any aspect of festival events,” said Holt. “We have enjoyed the benefit of Becky’s deep event knowledge and ‘get it done’ attitude as she has directed and managed key programs within our organization. Her induction to the IFEA Hall of Fame is a richly deserved acknowledgement of her outstanding talent and dedication to the industry.”
Genoways divides her time each year between her home in Illinois and her work in Memphis.
Listed below are each of the eleven 2017 Pinnacle awards won by Memphis in May:
- International Week: Best Event Invitation (International Gala)
- World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest: Best Money-Making Idea (BBQ Alley)
- Beale Street Music Festival: Best Digital Social/Ad Series
- International Week: Best Miscellaneous Printed Materials- single page (International Gala Save the Date)
- International Week: Best Commemorative Poster (Colombia Fine Arts Poster)
- Memphis in May: Best Street Banner
- World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest: Best Overall Sponsorship Program
- Memphis in May: Best Emergency Preparedness and Risk Management Plan
- Memphis in May: Best Miscellaneous Printed Materials- multiple page (2016 Annual Report)
- Great American River Run: Best Cover Design (Memphis Health + Fitness)
- Beale Street Music Festival: Best Single Newspaper Display Ad
2018 Memphis in May International Festival Dates:
Beale Street Music Festival: May 4-6, 2018
International Week: May 7–13, 2018
World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest: May 16-19, 2018
Great American River Run: May 26, 2018
901Fest: May 26, 2018
About Memphis in May
Memphis in May International Festival is a not for profit, community-based organization, whose programs contribute more than $111 million annually in economic impact to the community, foster civic pride, promote awareness of Memphis heritage, and build international relationships and understanding through education.
Memphis in May International Festival is the official festival of the City of Memphis, the recipient of 206 prestigious Pinnacle Awards from the International Festival and Events Association, and has been named to Travel+Leisure’s international list of Festivals Worth Traveling For, with the Beale Street Music Festival included as one of the World’s Top Festivals by Fest300, and listed by Forbes as one of “5 Underrated Music Festivals You Should Attend.”
- Beale Street Music Festival
- International Salute To Czech Republic
- World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest
- Great American River Run
- Student Exchange Program
- For Educators