From parking and entry, to pro tips and Lyft discounts
Architects of the World Lecture Series in partnership with AIA Memphis: Kamil Mrva
The Distinguished Architects of the World Series lecture is presented annually with AIA Memphis to celebrate the outstanding architecture and design of the celebrated country. Join us as we explore the unique architectural, cultural, social and economic environment of this year’s celebrated country – the Czech Republic
Award-winning Kamil Mrva, Ph.D., is one of the most prominent representatives of the younger generation of Czech architects, will present.
Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
1934 Poplar Avenue - Memphis, TN, 38104
Wednesday, May 9
Reception starts at 6:00 pm, followed by 6:30 pm presentation
For more information, contact AIA Memphis at info [at] aiamemphis [dot] org
Q&A with Director Jan Hrebejk
In collaboration with Indie Memphis, films from the Czech Republic will be screened each week in May on Tuesday and/or Wednesday evenings.
Save the date - Tuesday, May 8, 2018 to hear from one of the Czech Republic’s most prolific filmmakers, Jan Hrebejk who has directed more than 15 films for theaters and TV since Divided We Fall became an international success in 2000.
Family Friend (2017) directed by Jan Hrebejk, Tuesday, May 8 at 7 PM
Featuring special Q&A with director Jan Hřebejk attending the screening
Love, friendship and loyalty leave deep imprints on the family lives of women brought together by destiny. Set in the early 40s during German occupation, this melodrama depicts three young women and two children as they await the return of their imprisoned husbands and fathers from Nazi concentration camps. The film tells a story of forbidden love that remains unfulfilled, friendship bigger than life, desire, departures and returns.
The film is the first part of director Jan Hřebejk’s trilogy Garden Store (Zahradnictví), also comprised of the films Deserter (Dezertér) and Suitor (Nápadník).
MALCO Ridgeway Four
5853 Ridgeway Center Pkwy - Memphis, TN 38120
General Admission $10
For more information, contact Indie Memphis
Czech Academy of Sciences Research
On May 10, two separate lectures will be presented at the University of Memphis’ FedEx Institute of Technology, room 225
- 9:00 – 10:00
- Lecture by Hana Sychrová, President of the Council for International Affairs regarding the 54-research institute organizational structure of the Czech Academy of Sciences, as well as its research priorities and opportunities for collaborative work.
- Lecture by Prof. Vladimir Kral, head of the Biochemical, Cellular, and Molecular Biological research group within BIOCEV, the Czech Academy’s Biotechnology/Biomedical Research Institute. Dr. Krall will discuss the organizational structure, core facilities, and research capabilities and interests of BIOCEV.
These two public events will take place in the University of Memphis’ FedEx Institute of Technology, room 225. Parking (fee charged) is available across the street in the Innovation Drive parking garage. For more information, please contact Deborah Hernandez at 901-678-2648.
- Beale Street Music Festival
- International Salute To Czech Republic
- World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest
- Great American River Run
- Student Exchange Program
- For Educators