Original work by Memphis artist Evelina Dillon
Memphis in May joins the city's bicentennial commemoration with a new event: Celebrate Memphis on May 25, 2019! We'll be honoring our city's rich heritage and colorful history as we ring in a new century of soul. Gates open at 3:00 p.m. Blankets, lawn chairs and outside food, beverages and coolers are permitted for this FREE event.
See below for additional information on what our bicentennial event will include!
World's Longest Picnic Table - In the spirit of uniting communities from around the city, an attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the World’s Longest Picnic Table will be made. The record-setting picnic table is being constructed now and will stretch more than 1,060 feet, with representatives from Guinness on-hand to certify the record-breaking attempt. Memphians are encouraged to bring their families and friends to take a seat at the table and help Memphis set the record and make it the world’s longest community picnic!
Live Music - A Memphis celebration wouldn’t be complete without incredible live music, and Celebrate Memphis will offer four stages filled with a broad array of Memphis performing artists who will be announced closer to the event.
Air Show with All Veteran Group Parachute Team - All eyes will turn to the skies for the commemorative airshow soaring over the Mississippi River, with a new addition to the Memorial Day weekend event, the All Veteran Group Parachute Team with members representing branches of the armed forces gliding into Tom Lee Park.
Fireworks - Mid-South’s largest fireworks show will conclude the event with a display taking place over the Mississippi River. To “make it Memphis,” the show will be coordinated with something no other city can: The Mighty Lights that illuminate the Harahan and Hernando de Soto bridges, all set to Memphis music!
Mobile Memphis Mural - Everyone is welcome to grab a paintbrush and colorfully complete a graphic design wrapped on a MATA bus. This Memphis Masterpiece will then cruise the streets of Memphis all year long!
Global Community Market & Expo - The area will include food tastings and cultural performances from the different countries represented within the local population.
Family Zone - Includes “Touch a Truck,” an interactive experience that allows all ages to explore a fire truck, ambulance, FedEx truck and more.
Sports Zone - Meet members from the Grizzlies, Redbirds, Express, and 901FC.
Cornhole and Knockerball will be available for all to enjoy!
North gates open at 3 pm. NO ACCESS WILL BE PROVIDED THROUGH THE SOUTH GATE. The only entrance points on Saturday are the north gate and north bluff stairway.
What Can I Bring?
- Government issued photo identification
- Small bags, fanny packs and purses (16” x 16” x 16” maximum, any bag larger than 12” x 12” x 12” MUST BE A CLEAR BAG)
- Outside food & drink
- Picnic baskets / small coolers
- Camelback hydration packs (1.75Litres or less) MUST BE EMPTY
- Sunglasses & Hats
- Sunscreen lotion – non-aerosol containers only (we'll have sunscreen stations around the park too)
- Lawn chairs
- Hula Hoops
- Cell phones
- Non-professional flash/still cameras
What Can't I Bring?
- Illegal substances
- Firearms, explosives and weapons of any kind (including pocket knives, pepper spray, mace, fireworks, etc.)
- Aerosol containers (including sunscreen & personal beauty products)
- Selfie sticks
- Cameras with detachable lenses
- Professional radios / walkie-talkies
- Glass containers of any kind
- Laser pointers (or similar devices)
- Yard games, glow sticks, marker pens and inflatables
- Chains / spiky jewelry
- Full or Oversized umbrellas (small, collapsible umbrellas are permitted)
- Tents, canopies or shade structures of any kind
- Totems, flags, banners or signs
- Water Guns
- Thrown objects (baseballs, footballs, frisbees, etc.)
- Recording Equipment
- Oversized purses, bags, backpacks, etc. (larger than 18” x 18” x 18”)
- Pets (with the exception of service animals)
- Bikes, rollerblades, hoverboards, skates, skate boards, scooters, etc.
- Musical instruments
- Bad attitudes
*These items are subject to change. Please recheck this section before attending the event to have the most up-to-date listing.*
**Drone operators flying in Tom Lee Park during Memphis in May events will be arrested and prosecuted by the City of Memphis**
1819-2019 | Celebrating 200 years and a new century of soul!
Featured Event Sponsors
- Beale Street Music Festival
- World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest
- Great American River Run
- Celebrate Memphis
- 2019 Salute