Voting for the Visions of Memphis contest is now open through February 12! Click on the submissions page to view each entry, then vote for your favorite.
Memphis in May International Festival announces a call to local artists for a juried art competition.
For over four decades Memphis in May International Festival has included an original commissioned work of art created by notable Memphis artists as part of its salute to a select honored country. That artwork has then been used as the commemorative image on limited edition, highly collectible Fine Arts Posters annually. A gallery of previous years Fine Arts posters may be viewed here.
For the first time in its history, Memphis in May will break with tradition and will honor a city rather a country as part of the month-long salute. The City of Memphis will be the year-long focus of the 2019 Memphis in May Festival as it leads in the celebration of Memphis’ bicentennial and the start of its new century.
Also, in a break with tradition, the festival issues an open call to local artists to submit original artwork for a juried exhibition, VISIONS OF MEMPHIS. The winning artwork will be selected as the image of the 2019 Fine Arts poster and receive a monetary award ($2000). Second and third place prizes, $1000 and $500 respectively, will also be awarded. An additional seven entries will be awarded Honorable Mentions, and each receive a $200 prize.
Poster Submission Awards
- First place: $2,000 cash prize, two month-long badges to the Festival and your work becoming the official image of our 2019 salute
- Second place: $1,000
- Third place: $500
- Honorable mentions (4th-10th place) will receive $200 each
Poster Submission Timeline
- September 1: Open to Digital Submissions
- December 1: Digital Submissions Close
- December 9-20: Juried Panel Review
- January 7-16: Exhibition notifications / submission of physical artwork
- February 1-12: Public voting
- March: Winning art announced
- May 1-31: Visions of Memphis art exhibition, location TBD
- Beale Street Music Festival
- World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest
- Great American River Run
- Celebrate Memphis
- 2019 Salute